The Col de la Croix was a mule track that took over 100 years to become a pass road.
The Col de la Croix was opened in 1971 and connects Villars-sur-Ollon to Les Diablerets. The original mule track was fought over in the late 1700's and in 1869 a plan to build a road was made. Wars prevented the pass road from being finished until 1966 when work finally started.
The pass is particularly famous for its gypsum pyramids. The gypsum pyramids are a formed by erosion, water and wind have created sedimentary structures, that have become impressive pyramids.
|Summit coordinates||46°19’30.2”N, 7°07’35.9”E|
|Summit Altitude||1778 metres|
|Start||Villars 1258 metres|
|End||Les Diablerets 1200 metres|
|Opens||June to mid-October|